It’s been some months since I updated this blog, mainly due to lack of time but partly due to the shock of what happened after I submitted my Freedom of Information request to the National Archives (see my post 2 January).
As promised, the FOI request was processed within twenty days and I received the exciting news that the Home Office had agreed to release the document. The next step was to pay the £8.40 fee for a ‘page check’, so that a member of staff could view it and send me an estimate of copying costs. At £1.10 per page copied this is a useful precautionary step. As the helpful man at the live chat service had warned me ‘our record copying team cannot search within files for pages that may or may not be relevant. Your options are either to have the whole file copied, or to specify the exact page numbers you want copying.’
When the page check result came through some days later, giving an estimated copying cost of around £250, I realized that my only option was to travel to the National Archives in person. I could then search through the file myself for the pages that referred to my grandfather.